Simba was seen playing with a needle and attached thread, and before his owner could get it from him, he appeared to have swallowed it! 

Thanks to the quick thinking of his owners, he was immediately brought into Ourimbah Veterinary Hospital and was promptly examined by the vets. Our vets were able to act quickly and remove it without further complications. Our furry little friends can get themselves into trouble when they eat things that they shouldn’t!

His owners were advised to monitor him over the next few hours for any changes in behaviour… 

Luckily, Simba has since recovered and will hopefully be more careful in his kitty adventures!

In more severe instances, our pets’ can ingest things that can cause toxicity and/or blockage. Depending on the foreign material, clinical signs may vary with the type of toxicity and/or location, duration, and degree of obstruction. If an obstruction occurs and is left untreated, it can cause decreased blood supply or even ruptures of the gut wall. Toxicities can occur when our pets’ manage to access different substances such as certain plants, drugs, rodenticides, insecticides, detergents, and even foods such as chocolate, garlic and avocado! If you are suspicious that your pet may have eaten something they shouldn’t have, it is important to get them to the vet as soon as possible.

Some clinical signs may include:

* Abdominal pain
* Vomiting/regurgitation
* Drooling
* Panting/open mouth breathing
* Diarrhoea/constipation
* Inappetence.

It is crucial to tell the vet the duration since ingestion if known, and any clues of what it may have been. Blood samples and/or radiographs may be required, and your pet may require intravenous fluids and monitoring overnight.

Resources for more information:

** Please note: a number of the following websites originate from countries other than Australia therefore phone numbers contained within these sites may not be valid within Australia

If you have any further questions, please contact our friendly staff at Ourimbah Veterinary Hospital on 4362 1644