Happy Easter! With Easter comes lots of chocolate literally flooding our homes. Although you may put your chocolate in a place where your pet cannot see it, be aware they do have an incredible sense of smell and the will to find that delicious smell! Make sure chocolate is not only hidden but well and truly out of reach. Take care when organising an egg hunt for the kids as your pet may join in on the egg hunt too!

So how is something so irresistibly delicious so harmful to our fur babies?

Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine that is poisonous to our pets. The darker the chocolate the more theobromine it contains. It depends on the amount and type of chocolate your pet has eaten as to how severe the toxicity is. It doesn’t take much chocolate consumption, by your pet, to cause poisoning as theobromine is metabolised a lot slower in animals than it is in humans.

Signs of chocolate toxicity

  • Panting
  • Salivation
  • Restlessness
  • Excitability
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Increased heart rate
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased urination
  • Shaking/tremors
  • Seizures

Signs may not develop until a few hours after your pet has consumed the chocolate and unfortunately the signs may last for days.

What to do if your pet eats chocolate

It is very important if your pet has consumed even a small amount of chocolate or showing any signs of poisoning you seek veterinary attention ASAP or contact your veterinarian ASAP. If it is within a couple of hours of consumption your vet will most likely induce vomiting in your pet and then administer charcoal to help prevent re absorption in the body. If your pet is displaying signs of chocolate toxicity your vet will provide supportive therapy.

If you are concerned your pet may have eaten chocolate please call us on 4362 1644 or go straight the your veterinarian.