The focus is on oral health this month at Ourimbah Vet…
Did you know a whopping 80% of dog’s and cat’s over 3 years of age have some form of dental disease and these numbers only increase as they age?
Dental disease can have a major impact on their overall health and compromise quality of life. Unfortunately the mouth is the ideal environment for bacteria to flourish, this mixed with saliva and food particles causes plaque to build up on tooth surfaces, when left to sit plaque mineralises and forms into calculus all of which (in particular bacteria) can lead to irreversible damage to teeth and gums. It’s SO important as pet owners we adopt an oral health care plan into the day to day health care of our pets. Most cases of dental disease can be prevented if detected early and a regular dental care plan is in place.
Be on the look out for signs…
- Smelly breath
- Redness and inflammation of the gums
- Visible signs of plaque and calculus build up
- Clawing at the mouth
- Swelling around the mouth
- Broken and loose teeth
- Change in eating habits- eating less, difficulty eating
- Change in behaviour in particular aggressive behaviour when touching the mouth
How to maintain good oral health…
- Brushing our pet’s teeth regularly is the most effective way to prevent dental disease- for more information on how to click here
- 6 monthly dental health checks
- Regular scale and polish
- Feed kibble (dry food) there are also ‘dental’ kibble designed to assist with maintaining oral health as well as overall health
- Dental treats
- Chew toys that assist with cleaning the teeth
- Water additives and mouth gels can assist with bacteria control
Click here to make an appointment for your pet’s FREE dental health check!
For further information please contact our friendly staff on (02) 4362 1644